Sunday, August 19, 2018

Alaska to Canada

 Shingle Point, Canada. 
 Danny, Marcus, John and Donald in Kaktovik, Alaska.
Bruce and Tori's dog Coco jumping for his ball in Kaktovik, Alaska.
© 2018 Brian Adams 

In 2013, I was in Kaktovik, Alaska photographing for ASNA and I met Bruce Inglangasak. Bruce is a polar bear tour guide in Kaktovik and he took me out to see the polar bears. Later on, I learned that twice a year Bruce visits his relatives in Aklavik, Canada where he was born. He makes the journey along the coast twice a year, by boat in the summer and snow machine in the winter. When I heard this, right away I knew I wanted to document his journey and it also sounded like the perfect way to begin my new body of work on circumpolar Inuit. I have been documenting Inuit in Alaska for 13 years now and am excited to meet and learn about our family across the boarders. 

When I landed in Kaktovik, we had a few days before departing for Canada, because the sea ice needed to move back from the shoreline. While we waited, it gave me a good amount of time to get to know Bruce and his family better and kaktovik. I can't express how much I love and care about Bruce and his family in Alaska and Canada, I cant wait to share the work! But for now, here are a few photos I made while waiting (with exception of the first photo, that was taken at Shingle Point in Canada). More soon. 

1 comment:

background remove said...

Great photography. I specially like the boat photo. Thanks for sharing this excellent story.