Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Alaska From The Road

 ANCHORAGE, ALASKA - 2018: Sleeping Lady Mountain from Anchorage, Alaska.

 TURNAGAIN ARM, ALASKA - 2018: Beluga Point from the Seward Highway.

 ANCHORAGE, ALASKA - 2018: Cook Inlet from downtown Anchorage, Alaska.

ALASKA - 2016: Matanuska River from the Glenn Highway.

© 2018 Brian Adams

This month, I have started working on making new work for a gallery in my archive named Alaska From The Road. My hope is to compile a large body of work featuring simple, beautiful images taken from the road system of Alaska. I was recently looking at a magazine (that I love), that normally showcases new original work by photographers. But, the photo used to show a sense of place of Alaska was a generic stock photo by a photographer visiting Alaska. It got me thinking, that not only do I believe, that most of the stories about Alaska should be shot by locals, but even our one shot sense of place images for national publications writing about Alaska should be shot by locals. Alaska has a good amount of talented photographers, with a lot of knowledge of where they live. I hope by putting a little more work out there, I can help keep it local.

I would like to make it clear, that I have nothing against travel photographers. But, I do feel that its important to respect the people that have dedicated their lives to photographing a specific and complex part of the world. Especially when documenting and sharing work related to indigenous  issues and history.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's do some road together Brian!