Sunday, March 13, 2011

Iditarod - John Baker Takes The Lead

Photos 2009 © Brian Adams

Kotzebue native John Baker is currently leading the 2011 Iditarod Sled Dog Race! Baker is being trailed by Ramey Smyth of Willow, Alaska, and 4-time Iditarod Champion Lance Mackey is behind in 11th, claiming that "this is somebody else's year." Baker and Smyth have about 200 miles to go until the end of the race, so it is still anyone's race, but we, like Mackey, are rooting for Baker.

Above are some photos I took of John and his wife, Iva, at their home in Kotzebue, Alaska in 2009. They were both very welcoming and charming, and I could really tell how much they love the Iditarod, their dogs. I can't wait to see how this year's race ends! But whatever the end results, I am very proud of John Baker and grateful that I've had the chance to meet him.

No comments: