Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Carry On: Beleir Shoulder Bag and Hasselblad 500cm



2011 © Brian Adams

I don't consider myself a "gear head" by any means, but I genuinely appreciate smart, light, functional photography equipment that enhances my ability to make photographs in any situation, so I have decided to start a weekly blog post dedicated to sharing what gear I choose to use and why. Ash and I talked about possible names for the project and we came up with Carry On, partly because I insist on always being able to carry on my gear when flying. I want to be ready to shoot always.

For the first post, I want to share my "everyday" bag. Anyone who knows me knows I am very rarely seen without my Louis Vuitton Beleir shoulder bag, which is almost always packed with my Hasselblad 500cm and 80mm CF Lens. When I first saw this bag in a LV store in Hawaii, I knew it was the bag for me. I like to keep my shoulder bags as simple and sleek as possible; I only need a few pockets, and I want the bag to form to my hip when walking. The Beleir bag is much like a Domke bag, featuring one main compartment and two side pockets. (It does not come with dividers, so I transferred the dividers from my old Domke bag to the Beleir bag to better organize my equipment.) Made of canvas, it repels water, keeps clean in dusty situations, and is surprising durable; I've been using mine for 3 years and it still looks good.

And then, there's the Hasselblad 500cm and 80mm CF lens set-up. This camera has been my main camera for over six years. It is my go-to camera, my original set-up; next to Ash, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. (I love you, Ash.) It's a Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm CF lens and a A12 6x6 with black dot release film back. This camera is the definition of work horse. I have used it in the coldest Alaskan temperatures (the camera doesn't require a battery, which makes it ideal for cold weather shooting), the hottest New York summers, and the sandiest Hawaiian beaches, and it has always worked like a gem. But what's more, when I shoot with this camera, I feel it best interprets what I am trying to say with my photography.

You photogs out there, what film equipment could you not live without?

Carry on, carry on

2 comments:

clark said...

the best camera bag i ever had was a surplus ammunition can, lined with pads cut from a camping mat and glued onto the sides. ten bucks or so altogether, good size... watertight clamping lid, floats. and doesn't look like there could be anything valuable inside. ;

Brian Adams said...

Nice, Clark. Thats very you. I bet it could take a beating.